Agenda/Minutes
Ordinances
Forms/Permits/Fees
Departments
Recreation
Waste/Recycle

Police/Fire
Open Records



82 Beaver Creek Road
Abbottstown, PA 17301
Phone: 717-259-0385
fax: 717-259-7561

Email: paratwp@comcast.net


red farm and barn in snow
 

    History


     In 1747 Paradise Township was laid out under the authority of the Lancaster Court. The boundaries were surveyed by Joseph Pigeon, a Civil Engineer from Philadelphia for whom some claim the Pigeon Hill were named. In 1853 the eastern half of the Township was subdivided and became known as Jackson Township.

     Residents of the Township were involved in both the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. York County had a militia in the Revolutionary War in which Paradise Township made up part of the third battalion. Citizens also supplied six wagons to the Continental Army.

     During the Civil War in June 1863, General Early’s Confederate Forces camped for the night near Bigmount on their way to capture the City of York. Although the confederate soldiers did not destroy any property during their brief stay in Paradise Township, they did confiscate food and supplies from the farmers in the area.